CALL FOR PAPERS:
IFFTI CONFERENCE 2017 Click here to visit IFFTI Conference 2017
‘BREAKING THE RULES’
In today’s rapidly changing global economy, and with accelerating advances in technology, there are tensions and dichotomies at the heart of the fashion industry. The development of mobile commerce has created a shifting dynamic which has altered the ways in which people consume and engage with fashion. This has enabled lower costs and greater flexibility in design, quality, production and speed to consumer. But the ‘old’ paradigms and strategies within the fashion industry still dominate; more, cheaper, bigger, faster – and a constant focus on growth and return on investment. Large-scale incidents and controversies are presenting the fashion industry with all kind of issues Increasingly, these boil down to the basic questions: what does fashion signify? And how does fashion contribute to a healthier, better, and more prosperous world for everyone?
At the same time, these changes are creating new opportunities for a young generation to question the status quo and to challenge the fashion industry to find new solutions that are special, exclusive, and innovative.
In conversations and countless articles we hear how the fashion industry needs to adapt to this state of constant flux, and that not everyone wants to embrace this call for change, being unable or unwilling to abandon the old rules.
Education can provide a catalyst for change by interrogating the status quo. We can design the change, create the opportunities, and build a generation of fashion professionals who know how to break the rules and to develop new perspectives on challenging issues.
What are the serious challenges the fashion industry is facing today?
Which fashion rules will we have to break in order to find new answers for
And how can fashion education initiate and lead this process?
The 2017 IFFTI Annual Conference in Amsterdam has therefore adopted
‘Breaking the rules’ as its central theme.
- Different perspectives and paradigms on fashion:
2. Fashion business models
- Corruptive systems of fashion:
- Business models
- Production models
- Fashion systems
3. Fashion disruptive technology
- Different approaches to the fashion product:
- Digital and online technology
- Textile technology
Every paper should deliver a bold statement of the fashion rule that has been broken in the paper. The conference will use these statements to launch its conversations.
TIMETABLE FOR SUBMISSION
• 15/5/16 Call for abstracts
• 15/8/16 Abstract submission date
• 15/9/16 Abstract reviews completed and authors notified of acceptance and invitation to submit a full paper
• 15/11/16 Full papers submission date
• 15/1/17 Full papers reviews completed - final selection. Reviewers indicate grade of each paper so that the top n in each group of senior, early careers and doctoral students categories are identified.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The subthemes and questions described above indicate possible lines of reflection. You are not required to answer one of these specific questions but may blend them in ways that seem interesting to you. In order to facilitate evaluation, authors are requested to indicate which subtheme or subthemes the abstract addresses.
The Abstract should follow these guidelines:
• Subtheme(s) and 5 keywords entered below the title
• All authors names, affiliations, postal addresses, and email addresses. One author should be identified as the corresponding author and in addition to the above, provide a telephone number
• The Abstract should be 300 to 500 words in English not including subtheme(s) and keywords
• No name or author's affiliation in the text
• 12 pt. Type, Times New Roman
• 1 inch margins all around
• Only Microsoft Word Files will be accepted
Please note that abstracts which exceed the word limit, will not be taken into consideration. Emails containing the abstracts should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Requirements for FULL PAPERS
Submitted full papers should comply with the following requirements:
• Only Microsoft Word files will be accepted. PDF submissions will not be accepted.
• 12 point, Times New Roman font, with page numbers at bottom of page, and 1 inch (25.4 mm) margins, A4 size
• Papers should be 3,000-5,000 words in length in English. They should be written as continuous expository narrative in a chapter or article style - not as lists of points or a PowerPoint presentation.
• Harvard referencing should be used in the text (author, date: page number).
• APA Guidelines should be used for citations, graphs, figures, etc.
• Please remember that the papers are to be published in a fully refereed Conference Proceedings.
This means that the style and structure of your text should be relatively formal. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of citations, quotations, diagrams, tables and maps.
Papers should be thoroughly checked and proof-read before submission. Following submission you will be unable to make any changes to it during the refereeing process.
Illustration/Electronic Artwork Guidelines
• Figures and images must be clear and easy to view.
• Figures and tables need to be placed where they are to appear in the text. If preferred, you can also place images and tables at the end of your paper.
• Please refrain from using Word Drawing objects. Instead, use images imported from a drawing program. Word Drawing objects will not be rendered in the typeset version.
Abstracts and Papers for the 2017 IFFTI Conference will be selected through double-blind peer review. The research committee will appoint reviewers for the process.
The selection of abstracts is the first stage of a two-part selection process. Authors of selected abstracts will be invited to submit full papers (3,000 to 5,000 words), and reviewed by appointees of the research committee.
Authors who wish to be considered for an IFFTI Initiatives award should so note in their transmittal document.
All papers presented at the Conference will be published. At the time of submission of full papers, Authors are required to undertake a copyright agreement with IFFTI and the host institution. The text of this agreement will be available at the 2017 IFFTI Conference website which will be operational shortly.
IFFTI Initiatives Awards
In order to encourage participation in the Annual Conference by Junior Faculty, PG/ Research Students and Senior Faculty of Member Institutions, 3 Junior Faculty, 2 PG/ Research Students and 2 Senior Faculty of IFFTI Member Institutions, who are selected to present papers at the Conference, will be awarded scholarships of USD 2000.00 each. The evaluation process for these awards will be undertaken by IFFTI.
Guidelines for IFFTI Initiatives
Junior Faculty Initiative. In this initiative, 3 Junior Faculty of IFFTI Member Institutions, will be selected on merit and awarded the following incentives by IFFTI: A scholarship of USD 2000, and Free registration for the Conference. Their registration fee will be paid by IFFTI. To be eligible for this award the author should be at the beginning of their teaching careers, or those who are beginning to develop their teaching and research interest and profile.
Post Graduate / Research Students Initiative. Under this initiative, two Post Graduate/Research Students, whose papers are selected for presentation at the 2017 Conference, will be selected on merit and awarded the same incentives as the 3 Junior Faculty mentioned above.
To be eligible for this award, the student should be pursuing full time post graduate/ research program at the institution.
At time of submission of the full paper, the author the paper will confirm that the paper has not been presented or published elsewhere.
The Head of Institution/ Department/ Other Appropriate Authority will provide a supporting statement, in the case of Junior Faculty that the applicant meets the criteria mentioned above
is eligible to be considered as Junior Faculty for the purpose of this initiative. In the case of a Post Graduate/ Research Student, there should be confirmation that the applicant is undergoing a full time Post Graduate/ Research Programme at the institution. In both cases, institution will confirm that it will support a successful applicant’s costs to present the paper at the 2017 IFFTI Annual Conference.